Managing the risks around hazardous substances and explosive areas in the work place is best left to the experts.
TEG Risk’s best practice advice comes from years of experience and in-depth understanding of the complex regulations governing these areas.
We can review your operations and the hazardous substances (type, inventory and location) that are used and provide best practice advice in these areas. This advice covers the explicit requirements of the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations, in relation to storage, handling, signage, hazardous area classifications and secondary containment. We’ll also cover the operational aspects relating to
We will work with you to identify operational changes or improvements that can be made to reduce your compliance obligations and to reduce the personnel and property risks associated with these substances, irrespective of compliance requirements.
Assignments we have completed have included:
- Materials Inventory Registers, creation and auditing
- Hazardous Substance Location (HSL) review/classification and auditing
- HSL specification for upgrades
- Materials handling process reviews for personnel and property risk reduction.
Health and safety, hazardous substance and electrical regulations all require that areas with potentially explosive atmospheres should be suitably classified by competent people to ensure there are no inadequately protected ignition sources (e.g. electrical devices) present.
This hazardous area classification requirement not only applies to flammable substances captured under the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations but also to certain powders or
Our experience in the chemical and food and beverage industries means we are acutely aware of the different substances, materials, ingredients, their associated properties, how they might be handled and the implications for any classified zones of potentially explosive atmospheres.
We have carried out hazardous area classifications across multiple facilities, for different materials and process in differing industries. Specific projects have included:
- Classification of combustion gas supply lines and new metering locations
- Characterisation of multiple
specialtychemicals/liquid ingredients where no safety data sheet (SDS) information existed to allow hazardous area classification to occur
- Characterisation of variable and complex mixtures of multiple combustible dust ingredients to allow hazardous area classification of flavour/ingredient handling and extraction systems.
Detailedsource of release studies for multi-stage powder handling/transferring, processing and storage systems. This allowed the client to:
– identify opportunities to reduce
zonalextent of explosive atmospheres e.g. by the re-direction/location of vents or process
– optimisation relocate electrical equipment so that it was situated outside any zones classified as potentially
Experts in the field
TEG Risk Director Hamish Baker spent many years working in the UK as the Environment, Safety and Health Manager for an international chemical and food additives company.
He was responsible for the safety management of the Major Accident Hazard site and its (COMAH/SEVESO) regulatory requirements. This included process safety and occupational health and safety aspects related to the storage, processing and handling of a vast array of different hazardous substances to international best practice standards.
Combined with his process engineering training background he is ideally placed to understand your operations and how they might be affected by hazardous substances or explosive atmospheres.
Hamish has completed formal Hazardous Area Classification training in the UK through BASEEFA and has also obtained Unit Standard Certification to the Australian standards concerning hazardous area classification.
- AS/NZS 60079.10.1-2009 Explosive atmospheres – Classification of areas – Explosive gas atmospheres
- AS/NZS 60079.10.2-2016 Explosive atmospheres – Classification of areas – Combustible dust atmospheres
TEG Risk also has a network of supporting partners and associates who can provide additional related services e.g. detailed design of electrical systems, verification of designs and complete final inspection services.